Sunday, December 18, 2011

Camera Strap Tutorial

I'm on my 2nd SLR camera and figured it was finally time to make myself a cute strap! I've seen so many tutorials pinned to Pinterest which is my new favorite site so I finally decided it was time to make one. Click on any photo to enlarge.

I checked out a handful of tutorials and finally settled on following this one from Priddy Creations. Seemed straightforward enough, let's roll!


First start by choosing the fabric you'd like for your strap. One will be the one you see, the other is the interior so don't spend too much time trying to choose that print. In fact, just go ahead and buy some plain printed broadcloth and save a little money. I did adjust the fabric cuts just a tad. I actually have 2 SLR cameras, both are Canon's and the straps are 23 inches long(just the neck strap portion) by 1 5/8" wide. Measure your strap first to get a sense of how long and how wide you need it to be and adjust accordingly. I have a few changes I made along the way from the original tutorial I found as I just prefer a snug fit.
* Materials, 2 pieces of fabric (print and plain) fusible fleece, thread, sewing machine, scissors and of course your iron!
* Cut your printed and plain pieces 5 1/4" wide by 24" long - the portion of my strap that I want to cover is 23" so you may want to measure the length of your strap, just to ensure you get the correct length and just cut about 1 1/2 inches longer than what you measure. Remember, only measure the portion of the strap you want covered, not the entire strap end to end.
* Cut your fusible fleece 4 1/4" wide by 22" long or 2 inches shorter than your printed piece


With right sides facing each other, stitch together down the 2 long sides using a 1/4" seam allowance. Then center the fusible fleece onto the solid side of the fabric and follow the instructions to adhere.


Now turn your piece inside out so you can see your print.


Push the seams all the way out and press. Next, fold the ends with the raw edges in about 1/2" on each side, press with your iron and stitch those 2 shorts ends down.


Now fold the piece in half lengthwise and press. If you aren't adding any trim, stitch this long side down and you are done! If you are interested in jazzing it up some more by adding some trim, read on.



At this point you can do a few things. If you have tags you use, stitch it to one end.


If adding a trim you can do this now. Stitch this right on and fold the ends under so the ends are hidden in the interior. I've shown a shabby floral trim here in the photo. I would probably hot glue this on or secure with a fabric glue instead of stitching over the flowers. If you were going to glue the trim on you will first finish off the strap.
It is folded in half and you will stitch down that long side locking your stitches at each end. After that is done you could cut the rose trim to the length you need and add them now.

I chose to leave my strap as is with just the print showing. Ta-da! Isn't she pretty? I'm ready to take some photos!
I have since made a few changes because my brain just couldn't leave it alone and decided to do one that had different fabrics on each side. A simple change but I love it! Simply cut 2 strips 2.875" wide and then stitch them together at 1/4" seam allowance to have one single piece again. That should total your width that you needed of 5 1/4". The most challenging part of this will be staying true to your seam allowance when you stitch them together and then again when you fold and iron at the end. Iron it exactly along that seam so each print is on it's proper side and not peeking over!
I just adore these happy and bright colors!

4 comments:

Terri said...

Hi Debbie...this was a fun tutorial! I made a camera strap cover for my friend for Christmas. Thanks for the tutorial! You should do more. Happy New Year.
Terri Miller

Terri said...

Hi Debbie...this was a fun tutorial! I made a camera strap cover for my friend for Christmas. Thanks for the tutorial! You should do more. Happy New Year.
Terri Miller

Terri said...

oops, dont know why it published my comment twice like that...

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

I've really been wanting to make one of these. Thanks for showing me how...will have to add this project to the list! Happy to be following you!