Monday, October 24, 2011

Make your own Kids Fort Kit

Trying to find a gift for all kids and a wide range of ages? Well, I kinda think this one is pretty cool! What child doesn't like to imagine big and build forts! This idea came about as we are heading to a birthday party for 3 special foster kids. What sort of gift would be fun for all 3 and not be a zillion parts. All of a sudden I went back to my own childhood and thought about how much fun it was to build forts. So there it begins, the start of a fort building kit! Click on any photos if you wish to see them larger.


I started by gathering some supplies. I've got some flat sheets (different colored ones of course, whatever will suit your gift recipients. Walmart has them in all colors of the rainbow) tiny clamps that I found at Home Depot for just 39 cents a pop, suction cups, rope/cording and then a drawstring bag to put it all in. I made my bag but use what you like! If you have a pillowcase on hand or can grab one at the store, those are perfect too and I'll show you how to add the drawstring casing. Read on for some other ideas of things to throw in.


Here is a closeup of my tiny little clamps and my suction cups.


I made my own case out of fabric I had on hand but this would be super easy if you just bought a premade one. If you want to make one, you can always follow my tutorial I've done on pillowcases. I found some grosgrain ribbon that I had on hand and just stitched it on about 5 inches from the top. Instead of stitching it closed at the seam, fold the ribbon under on each side where it meets up. Stitch it down and you will have a vertical opening.


Now take a safety pin and pin it to the cording and feed it through the casing. Cut it to whatever desired length you like so you can cinch and tie it shut.


Fill it with all your goodies, tie shut and your present is now wrapped! Would love to hear other ideas of fun things to add to this bag of family fun.


Something that would raise the fun level if you want to keep filling the bag would be some kid walkie talkies. Your little adventure guides can communicate as the fort is coming together.


And finally, just for fun, I added an extra item. I picked up a bag of dum dums to enjoy once the fort is built and added that in there. Hey, all kids like a little candy right?


Instead of a card, I made a gift tag to attach to the cording with instructions on what this was :) Please ignore my typo, just noticed that but you get the general idea.


Of course I love ALL crafty stuff so I happen to own a laminating machine so I decided to laminate my card stock card.


Voila, you are done and I hope your little fort builders have a blast and that you get a chance to join them in their fun and make some memories! We are now off to our party with our homemade gift!

No comments: